Happy International Women’s Day! What more fitting way to celebrate with my fellow WAHM ladies (and men) than by sharing with you today, some great ideas to help celebrate a day that earmarks the impact and success of independent, ambitious, successful, torch-carrying women worldwide?
First, what IS International Women’s Day?
Though it apparently began as a socialist movement back in 1909, International Women’s Day is now celebrated annually on March 8th around the world, as a celebration of women everywhere. While various countries and regions celebrate in various ways — everything from a general and/or ceremonial show of respect and appreciation for women everywhere, to a more specific focus on women’s economic, political and social achievements around the world, the message is clear. Women are capable of great things (as is evidenced every day right here at itsaWAHMthing.com – and that’s something worth celebrating! Wow. A whole day dedicated to the accomplishments of women worldwide! I don’t know about you but I think that’s pretty cool.
Why are days like International Women’s Day important?
Our modern world has come a very long way from the days when girls were only expected to grow up to become good wives, mothers and homemakers. A VERY long way! Today, in addition to all of that (for those who marry and have children — the beauty is that here in North America and many other parts of the world we now have a choice!), women can be anything they want. Many of the contributing writers and members/readers at itsaWAHMthing.com are a wonderful testament to that. Holidays like International Women’s Day help remind us all that women have the power and the ability to make positive change in the world for themselves, their families and for future generations to come. A responsibility not to be taken lightly we are all role models. Today is a day to both celebrate the women around us who do contribute to making positive change (that includes you if you’re among them!) and/or to contemplate what you can contribute to help make positive change for women (and people in general) everywhere.
How can you celebrate International Women’s Day?
- Let people know you are celebrating! Post a greeting to all the women you know on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and any other social media platforms you may be active on. Tell the world you’re celebrating and why.
- Recognize the women in your life — tell them you appreciate them today and every day! If a particular lady has inspired you or changed your life in some way – tell her how she has influenced you for positive change. Some sources suggest flowers be given, though I think you can celebrate in any way you want – don’t be afraid to be creative. The important thing is awareness and recognition in whatever way feels most fitting to you.
- Some media sources say you should “take the day off.” If you can do that, great! If you can’t, take time out to schedule in some YOU time – mark it in your calendar right now! You work hard all year – you deserve it.
- Support causes that support women! Non-profit organizations like Kiva (USA) work to remind women to invest in their futures and make funding available for women in need. http://www.kiva.org/women connects donations with women who need loans and just for today, in celebration of International Women’s Day, Dermalogica (a skincare co. promoting joinFITE to help women in any industry find financial independence through entrepreneurship) has agreed to sponsor 4000 $25 loans for new lender registrations.
- Our own itsaWAHMthing co-founders Missy Ward and Rae Hoffman-Dolan each fundraise for causes close to their heart. Contribute to Missy’s Breast Cancer Fundraiser at http://www.iwalkforboobies.com/ or to Rae’s Heart Walk (which is a fundraiser for pediatric stroke in Houston, TX, but supports a strong, independent and respect-worthy woman who supports this entire Work At Home community – that’s a women’s cause if you ask me).
- Amnesty International describes itself as a global movement of people fighting injustice and promoting human rights. With a special section of their site dedicated specifically to women’s rights, you’ll find info about how you can get involved or donate.
- Help spread awareness by rocking red lipstick today and posting your pics at http://rockthelips.tumblr.com/. Join the discussion on Twitter or visit the Facebook page. On March 6th supermodel Christy Turlington tweeted her support – you can too, with hashtag #rockthelips.
- Make today the day you join Women Online Marketers United (WOMU) – the online discussion forum & community where you can network, learn and support your fellow Entrepreneurial Sisters for Online Marketing Success.
- Look up local events in your community to find out who is celebrating, where and how. Can’t find any? Hold one of your own!
Happy International Women’s Day everyone! No matter how you choose to spend it, remember your worth, today and every day. You have the power to do anything you put your mind to – don’t let anyone ever tell you differently.
Are you celebrating International Women’s Day today? Why or why not? Share your thoughts and ideas for celebrating this important day, in the comments below.