Business Tools We Love
Over the combined century of experience that our awesome It’s a WAHM Thing team has of working from home, we’ve tried just about every tool that you can imagine to help us run, streamline, organize and be more productive in our businesses.
Below you’ll find a collection of our favorite tools.
Some are free, some require one time fees and some are subscription based. Paid tools have been noted with an asterisk (*). But various members of our team have found the business tools listed below to be big assets to our home based businesses.
And we’re always working on expanding the list!
Building a website
- WordPress (it’s a blogging system, but can be used to build any type of website)
- * Thesis (a premium WordPress theme – we use it here on the site)
- * Genesis (a premium WordPress theme)
- * Fiverr (cheap logo design)
- * Logo Design Creation (higher quality, but still affordable logo design)
- * Gravity Forms (an advanced contact form plugin for WordPress with tons of features)
Marketing a website
- WordPress SEO Guide (this will tell you how to get your WordPress based website in tip top SEO shape)
- * Raven Tools (FREE 30 day trial – allows you to keep track of your SEO, PPC and social media marketing efforts in one place)
- * CrazyEgg (click tracking software that gives you detailed information about how users interact with your website)
- Google Analytics (analytics tracking and reporting that is more robust than any other free solution we’ve seen on the market)
- * WidgetBox (allows you to make your website into a mobile web app or widget to use in promotional efforts)
Monetizing a website
- ShareASale (affiliate network that allows you to affiliate your website with relevant merchants)
- * Eclipse Link Cloaker (WordPress plugin that helps you cloak, automatically insert and track clicks on affiliate links)
- VigLink (master affiliate network that allows you to automatically create an affiliate link for any merchant you link to if they have an affiliate program)
- * Hootsuite (allows you to manage multiple Twitter accounts, schedule posts, share account access with others and more)
- Dropbox (cloud based online storage and file collaboration) – you can check our in-depth Dropbox review for more information.
- Google Calendar (cloud based calendar you can allow multiple people to access – we use this as to run the Editorial Calendar here at It’s a WAHM Thing)
Running a company
- Skype (chat, audio and video calling tool – there is also a Premium version – see our Skype Premium review here – that allows you to do group video calls)
- * Quickbooks Online (financial management for small businesses with too many features to properly list them all)
- * ShoeBoxed (online receipt organization and storage)
- Evernote (note taking software that allows you to take notes, collaborate with others available via computer, phone, tablet and the web)
Awesome “must have” apps
- TripIt (awesome travel app that allows you to organize your entire itinerary for trips and have it all available on your phone)
- * PDANet (allows you to tether your smartphone [available on most platforms] via your data plan without paying an extra monthly fee)
- Zite (personalized magazine app that allows you to input stories and then it uses your preferences to match you with related content you may have otherwise missed [only available on iPhone and iPad])
- BufferApp (one app that allows you to save awesome content and schedule sharing it on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn)